Community High School will endeavor to create a healthy learning environment where students develop their intellectual, artistic, and physical talents through faculty, student, family, and community collaboration to better become lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
A Brief History of Community High School
Community High School is a public school serving grades nine through twelve in northern Bedford County, Tennessee. The school originally was built in 1925 to accommodate those children who finished the eighth grade at the ten elementary schools in the area: Rover, Haynes, Longview, Green Hill, Taylor's Cross Roads, Cedar Grove, Unionville, Fall's Creek, Poplin's Cross Roads, and Ray's Chapel. A brick building was constructed in 1939, with additions in 1946, 1954, 1955, 1964, and 1975.
In 1997, grades 7-12 moved into a newly constructed building on the 3470 Highway 41A North campus. Community School shared a cafeteria with Community Elementary but were otherwise separate schools. Due to overcrowding, portable classrooms were added over time since the 1997 construction.
In the fall of 2009, grades 9-12 moved into the new Community High School located at 100 Community Crossing (fronting Unionville-Deason Road). The building is a state-of-the-art high school facility located on over ninety acres with a capacity of 500 students. The building at 3470 Highway 41A North houses grades 6-8 as Community Middle School. Community High School continues to use outdoor athletic facilities located on the Community Middle School campus.
Beginning as a small unit school in 1925, Community is now a complex of three separate schools serving northern Bedford County.
School History by James Eley-Class of 1947
School History by Josephine Clardy September 1987
History of Rover Area Schools
Bedford County Historical Listing of Schools