World History (Period 1st Period) Assignments
- Mr. Robbie Davis
- 2020-2021 School Year
August 10, 2020We will begin with the Prologue Chapter in your World History book.August 10, 2020Due at the end of the 9 weeks. This is 25 percent of your 9 weeks grade.You will be creating a fictional country. The following is the information that should be included in your fictional country.1. Each country should have a name2. The physical location of your country. You can use land masses that exist.3. Each country should have a history that is an addition to regular history. The main origin should be how you became a country.4. What kind of culture does your country have including music, art, sports, religion, language, etc.5. What type of government do you have in your country.6. What type of economy do you have.7. What historical events have taken place in your country.8. What attractions would you have that would make someone want to visit or live in your country.You may do this on PowerPoint if you are a virtual student. All others will present in class.
No upcoming assignments.
For this assignment I want you to do the same thing you did with The Sixties assignment. The following are some catagories to choose from:
1. The end of the Vietnam War
3. The beginning of terrorism home and abroad
4. Munich Olympic Hostage Crisis
5. The changing of television and music
These are just some of the topics you can choose from. Pick 3 different topics and you may choose something not from this list. Follow the same instructions from the last assignment.
For the next several weeks we will be doing assignments based on the most recent decades. We will begin by doing the 1960's. I want you to choose 4 events from the decade of the 1960's that made the biggest impact on the United States and the World. Below are some examples to choose from:
1. Assassination of John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.
2. The Vietnam War
3. The coming of age of television
4. Landing on the Moon
5. Cuban Missile Crisis
These are just some examples to choose from. Write a short essay for each event you choose and discuss the global impact each event had and why you feel it was important in history.
For this assignment I want you to pick 3 people that made an impact on World History and if you had a time machine you would want to meet. Make sure for EACH of these people you answer the following questions:
1. Why did you choose this person
2. What historical impact did this person make
3. What time period did they belong
4. What would you want to talk with them about
5. If they could see the world today what do you feel their opinion would be about it
Make sure you answer each of these questions for each person you choose. The people you choose can fall under any category including history, music, art, military, religious, and any other important category. Each person you choose must have made a lasting impact in history.
Describe in detail what was the Vietnam War? Include the following:
1. Who was the war between?
2. What was the major causes of the war?
3. Who were the leaders of the countries involved?
4. Why was the United States involved in the war in Vietnam?
5. How did the American people feel about being in the war in Vietnam?
6. What were some of the major battles that took place in the war?
7. How did the war end?
8. What was the outcome or the end result of the war?
Type the assignment in paragraph form using examples from the book or online sources. List the sources that you use for the assignment.
3rd 9 Weeks Project
For the 3rd 9 weeks project you will be constructing a life plan. I want you to choose 3 possible careers that you will be pursuing after graduation of high school, college or technical school and list the following for EACH career:
1. What degree, technical training or pre-requisites are needed to pursue this job or career?
2. What is your plan to achieve what is needed for your job or career?
3. What is the average income you hope to achieve with this job/career?
4. Will you have to relocate/move to have this job/career? If so discuss in detail why?
5. Where your job/career will be located, what is the average cost of living for this area and include the following:
A. Cost of Housing
B. Cost of state and local taxes
C. Misc. cost such as gas, food, transportation, etc.
D. Cost of medical insurance/ Car Insurance/ Home or rental Insurance
E. Is there a state income tax in the location you live and if so how much?
F. If you are planning to have a family, what is the average cost of raising a child? (must include this in your expenses including cost of each child's food, clothing, insurance, medical cost, daycare, tuition or school needs as well as misc. cost such as Christmas, Birthdays, etc.)
6. Take your average cost of income and subtract your cost of living, will you make a comfortable living?
7. Do you plan on having multiple careers? If so, why or why not?
8. What age do you hope to retire?
9. What is your plan for retirement and retirement savings?
10. Once you have finished the above in your opinion is your current academic standing as a freshman going to lead you to be able to have your chosen job/ career? If not, what changes do you need to make to achieve your goal?
During the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union, the two countries began a race to the moon to show the technological power of each country. The Soviet Union beat the United States in many phases but lost in the ultimate goal to the United States which was landing on the moon in the flight of Apollo 11. During the space program of Gemini, Mercury, Apollo and the Space Shuttle, the United States faced many challenges and suffered many heart felt losses. I want you to pick 3 events that have happened in the space program of NASA that were tragic events and describe them in detail. List the following for each:
1. What was the name of the flight and which program was it.
2. What was the tragic event that happened
3. What was the outcome of the event
4. What lessons were learned from the event
This will be due March 2.
After World War II, the United States and the Soviet Union began a decades long "cold war" which was fought without the firing of weapons or a declaration of war. During this time period that lasted into the 1980's there were several events that happened where the United States and the Soviet Union competed for world dominance. Your assignment is to choose one major event between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War and explain in detail the following:
1. What was the event and what actions led up to the event
2. What role did the Soviet Union and the U.S. play in the event
3. What was the outcome of the event
4. What affect did the event have on the status of the Cold War
Some of the topics to choose from could be the following:
1. 1980 Olympics - Hockey
2. Cuban Missile Crisis
3. Berlin Blockade
4. Bay of Pigs
5. Hungarian Revolution
6. U-2 Spy Plane Incident
7. Collapse of the Soviet Union
Please make sure when you type your paper that you double space. This will count as a quiz grade.
Major Battles of World War II
The following is a list of major battles from World War II. Choose 2 of these and write a newspaper type article as if you are covering the event as it happens to report back to Americans reading the newspaper. Below is a list of battles and the things the articles should include:
2. Battle of Britain
3. Pearl Harbor
7. Battle of the Bulge
8. Hiroshima and Nagasaki
The articles should include the following:
1. When was the battle
2. Who fought in the battle
3. Details of the battle including who started it, what happened during and what was the outcome
4. How did the battle effect the outcome of World War II
Each article should cover 1 page each.
World War II
During World War II there were several countries that participated in the war whether by force or by choice. I want you to choose one of those countries that was involved in World War II in some aspect and write me a 2 page paper that includes the following information:
1. What years was the country involved
2. What side of the war did they fight for
3. Why did they get involved in the war
4. What major battles occurred in their country or they participated in and what was the outcome
5. Who were the main political and military leaders of the country
6. What was the major contribution they made to the war both positive and negative
7. What was the outcome for this country
8. What changes happened after the war for this country both positive and negative
9. Where there any heroes that came out of the war. List their names and their accomplishments
10. What is this countries standing in the world today
Chapter 16 Assessments
Chapter 16 will begin our look into World War II and the Great Depression. The following assignment will be due Friday January 15.
Section #1-#5 - Complete Section Assessments numbers 1-5. You do not have to write the questions.
Chapter Assessment - #1-#18. You do not have to write the questions.
Mid Term Exam Study Guide
Your mid-term exam will be to locate and identify the 50 states and capitals as well as major land features in the United States. A map will be posted for you to see during the exam with each state being identified with a number. You will need to be able to identify the location of the state and its capital. Below is the list of land features you will also need to identify.
1. Rocky Mountains
2. Appalachian Mountains
3. Mississippi River
4. Atlantic Ocean
5. Pacific Ocean
6. Lake Erie
7. Lake Superior
8. Lake Michigan
9. Lake Huron
10. Lake Ontario
2nd 9 Weeks Project
For this 9 weeks project each student is to choose a historical figure or event and write a 2 page minimum report on how this person or event changed the world we live in today. The topic chosen must be before the year 2000. The report must include the following information:
1) Detailed description of the person or event chosen
2) What the World was like before this person or event
3) What was the change this person or event brought about
4) What the World was like after this person or event
You must use at least 3 sources in your paper. Paper must be typed and double spaced. You may choose a topic from any area as long as the impact was felt nationally or Worldwide. Below is a summary example of what the project should look like:
On September 11, 2001, a terrorist attack on the United States forever changed the World we live in. Before 9/11 air travel regulations were very basic and the Department of Homeland Security did not exist. After the tragedy of 9/11 we have since tightened flight regulations, passport screening, created Homeland Security to monitor national defense along with more thorough background checks.
For Chapter 9 please read entire chapter and answer the following questions. The assignment will be due on Friday.
All Section Assessments - numbers 1-5
Chapter Assessment - numbers 11-20
You do not have to write the question just the answers.
Historical Event Paper
Choose one from the following and write a 2 page minimum paper to summarize the event. The paper should include the following:
1. Time period the event took place
2. The cause of the event
3. The people or person involved in the event
4. The actual event itself explaing all aspects of the event
5. The results of the event
6. What was the lesson learned from the event
Use at least 2 sources and site your sources. Virtual students this will be due on Friday. Classroom students will turn in on Monday. Classroom students are NOT to email me their assignments.
2. Oklahoma City Bombing
3. Boston Marathon Bombing
4. The Hindenberg
5. Hurricane Katrina
6. The Olympic Bombing in Atlanta
8. JFK Assassination
9. Trail of Tears
10. Dr. Martin Luther King Assassination
11. Bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima
12. Stock Market Crash 1920's
State Research Assignment
This assignment is for all students. Virtual students will email me this by Friday. Regular students will bring back to school to turn in.
Each student is to select a state, not Tennessee, and do a historical research paper. The paper should include the following information:
1) Year state became part of the Union
2) The actions by which the state became a state listing all important events and people involved in the process.
3) Most famous people and residents from the state and what they have accomplished ( minimum of 5 people).
4) Major events that have happened in the state (minimum of 3)
5) List highest level of political office reached by representatives of the state, who were they and what years did they serve (minimum of 3) and their accomplishments positive or negative.
Example: Tennessee had 3 Presidents Jackson, Johnson, and Polk and then I would list their years of service along with what each accomplished in office.
6) What are the factors that in today's world pull them to live in this state and what are the factors that push people away from this state (list a minimum of 2 each).
7) In your opinion is this state a good state to live in and why?
For virtual students type in word and email to me. For in class students you may hand write or type. If you type you will need to print out and give to me when you return.
This will be the only assignment for the week. This will count as a test and quiz grade as well as 1 daily grade. Any questions you can email me or send a chat.
Next Tuesday our country will elect the next President of the United States. I want you to choose 1 former U.S. President and write a one page biography of his Presidency. Include the years in office, where he was from, what political part he belonged to, his vice president, major accomplishments, and any major events that happened during his presidency. Also include the President that replaced him. Write it like an Obituary format of his presidency. This will be due on Friday.
Complete Chapter 6 Section Reviews and Chapter Assessment
For Section Reviews answer only questions 1-5.
For Chapter Assessment answer only questions 9-18.
You do not have to write the questions just the answer.
All students need to read Chapter 4 in their World History book and create a study guide outline of the chapter. Make sure you pay special attention to the items that are highlighted, underlined and italicized. Once you have completed the outline you will turn it in with your test on Friday. The test will be posted on Friday morning. You may use your outline on the test Friday so make sure you include all important details from each section.
If you could run for President of the United States what would be the 3 most important things you would campaign on. List those 3 things and explain in detail why they are important to you. When finished email me your responses. This will be the one of the first grades of the new 9 week period.
Special Interest Assignment
The following assignment will be due next Monday, October 5. Each student is to create a special interest proposal in regards to a change they would like to see. In this proposal you will need to have the following:
1. purpose - what is the purpose of this proposal and why is it important
2. proposal - the actual proposal you are making
3. rationale - why is this proposal important and what change or addition will it bring about as well
Example: If you are passionate about art you may propose that the government create a special education scholarship just for the fine arts with a focus on art. Your purpose would be to help those students who are passionate about art pursue a career in an art field. Your rationale would be that there is slowly starting to become less focus on art in education and that you believe art is a very important part of our culture and society.
The purpose of this assignment is to help each student work on forming ideas and being able to present them in a formal procedure. Choose any idea from any subject you are passionate about that you would like to see our government take action in.
Chapter 4 Section and Chapter Reviews
Complete Chapter 4 section and chapter reviews. For section reviews do only numbers 1-5 for each section. For the chapter assessment do numbers 9-18. All will be due September 30.
States and Capitals Test
The following is the states and capitals test. Please list the capitals that match the state. This IS NOT open note. Make sure you are using academic integrity when taking the quiz. Once you have finished email me your answers.
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- New York
States and Capitol Quiz
On Friday you will be taking a states and capital quiz. You need to study the 50 U.S. states and capitals and be prepared to be quizzed over them. I will post the states and you will answer what capital belongs to the state. There are several sites that have the 50 states and capitals located on the maps.
I want you to pick out one World Event and one event inside the United States related to the following topics and report your opinion on your topic chosen. Please site where you found your article and what the content of the article was. The following are categories you can choose from:
4. Historical Events
5. Culture(including music, movie, food, etc)
In your articles please discuss what your article was about in detail and what your opinion of the article is. These will be due on Wednesday. Please email me your articles and responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bill of Rights is the first 10 amendments to the Constitution of the United States. I want you to choose 2 of those amendments that you feel are the most important and answer the following questions::
1. Why do you feel this amendment is the most important?
2. Does this amendment still apply to life in the year 2020? explain your answer
3. Is there anything in the amendment that needs to be changed or added to? Explain your answer
4. If you were able to re-write this amendment to fit the year 2020 how would you word it?
*Remember you must choose 2 of the 10 amendments.
Chapter 1 Section and Chapter Reviews
The following is to be completed and turned in by Friday September 11.
Section Reviews - Chapter 1
Page 43 - 1-5
Page 51 - 1-5
Page 60 - 1-5
Page 66 - 1-5
Page 68 - 9-18
You do not have to write the questions just the answers.
Below is a link to a video about Stuyvesant High School, a magnet school in New York City located just a few blocks from the World Trade Centers on 9/11. The video is their story of what it was like to live through the day of the attack. Each of the students interviewed come from a different ethnic background that is an example of the diversity of the city in general. After watching this video I want you to discuss the following items.
1. Which of the students stories had the most impact on you and why?
2. Would you have reacted the same way as these students or would you have reacted differently? Explain your answer
3. What are the (a) similarities and (b) differences from being a high school teenager living through 9/11 verses living through a global pandemic almost 2 decades later? Explain both of these answers in detail
Once you have finished email me the answers by Friday. Any questions just email me or message me on teams.
The states along the Gulf of Mexico have been hit by 2 hurricanes in less than 3 days which is very historic. In a short 1 page essay discuss the impact that both hurricanes and especially a focus on Hurricane Laura will have on this region. Include things such as property damage, business closures, and economic impact to name a few things. Write it like an informative newspaper article. This will be due on Friday and will be the last assignment before the break.
In our World today we are faced with many new challenges. The Covid pandemic has been something that has in some shape or form affected us all. For this assignment we are going to do a 2 fold breakdown of issues with the Covid pandemic. We are going to write a short newspaper type article covering the following 2 topics.
1. Which profession in your opinion has been affected by the Covid pandemic the most? Use current event data to support your answer from a reliable source.
2. The term "new normal" has been used to describe ways that we now function in society differently than before the pandemic. Which "new normal" do you feel will become the norm once the pandemic is over? Use information from reliable sources to back up your thoughts.
I want you to write this as an informative essay. You are informing the reader of the information you are presenting such as a newspaper article. Each of these articles will count as a daily grade. These will be due on Monday.
In the Prologue section you found a basic summary of world events throughout history. I want you to do the following for the Prologue section.
1. Choose one event in the prologue section in world history that you feel is the most important and explain why you feel it is. List at least 2 reasons.
2. Choose one event or topic that took place in American history that you feel is the most important and explain why you feel it is. List at least 2 reasons.
Example: If you chose the United Nations as one of the most important in American history you could use examples such as the United Nations goal is to promote unity and democracy throughout the world as well as to help and maintain World peace.
Prologue Section and Chapter Reviews
Please answer the following questions from the Prologue section of your World History books. You do not have to type the questions just the answers. Email me at email@example.com
with your answers once you have completed this assignment.
Page 11 Questions 1-5
Page 17 Questions 1-5
Page 23 Questions 1-5
Page 29 Questions 1-5
Page 30 Questions 1-18